Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Summer of Sewing--Coachella Shorts

From the Archives
7/22/2015

At the beginning of the summer I made a list of my sewing goals.  My idea of a sewing list comes from a group I joined on Facebook that encourages sewists to actually sew the patterns we already own.  Novel idea, right? Mostly I wanted to sew the patterns that were strictly in baby sizes before Amelia grew out of them.


I also had some long-overdue projects for the boys and shorts for the older girls.  I didn't make much of a dent in the list for awhile because I did a cluster of pattern testing and some sewing and altering for other people, but I finally have some clothes to show for this list (to which I will dedicate another post).

One outfit I've had finished for a little while is the Coachella shorts by Striped Swallow Designs.  I saw this pattern when it first came out, but it was the cute designs in my sewing groups that convinced me to buy it and sew them up.  They are very easy to make and the instructions are lovely and organized.  I used a set of fat quarters to make Amelia's little 12 month size, trimmed in cotton lace and a walmart tank that I added a bib applique to complete the outfit.

 They are kind of booty shorts even though they almost come to her knees.  I guess that's what it's like being a baby.  I sewed a pair for Maddie, and she loves them, but they are too short on her giraffe legs.  They're good for pool or pajama wearing and I'm hoping I can figure how to lengthen them and still keep the style.
 I tried getting her picture while Tyler worked on our sprinkler system this morning.  She insisted on her tongue sticking out, that silly goofball.

Then the sprinklers came on and surprised us all.  That was the end of pictures.

This is her yelling that she didn't like getting wet!

No comments: