Saturday, February 11, 2017

Pattern Review: Made for Mermaids Quinn

Awhile back I got to test the Made for Mermaids Quinn

They always need testers in the biggest size range and Elle fit the measurements exactly. Elle is here in a size 14 (which she has sadly outgrown), and of course I had to make one for Amelia too, she's in size 1. 


 It's a super cute summer design, with lots of options: two bodice lengths, 2 different skirt styles and multiple lengths. So many possibilities!
I had grand ideas of a flowy, boho maxi dress with a lace overlay in pretty pastels, but when I added the lace fabric to the skirt it was just too much. It didn't look loose and flowy, but weighed down and dull. So I took scissors and just cut it right off. 
I still like the lace part on top, but it doesn't really look awesome against her skin. I don't really think pastels are my girls' thing. I should really remember that. 


I did the shirred back option cause I actually love shirring. I bought a separate bobbin holder just for elastic thread so I don't have to mess with tension. Wise investment. 

Amelia's version: 
I did pastels and lace on hers too, and made one of those overdone fancy headbands. This is the tunic length and I made cute bloomers for underneath trimmed with the same velvet ribbon I used on the straps. 


 How does she know to do this pose? She kills me. 

 Finally using some of my vintage lace collection!

 Oh, those curls. 


 You can see the little velvet bows here. It's one of my favorite little things. 


 serious woodland creature ;)

 Quinn is a super fast sew, especially if you use ribbon for the ties, and the shirring option.  It's one I'd make again, but maybe better suited for younger sizes because of the whole bra-strap thing--we like a little more coverage on top, but I did see a really cute one that was layered.



Sisters. 


No comments: