Monday, January 31, 2011

ReFashion #1

this is hopefully the first in a line of clothing makeovers. i love the idea of taking something ugly and unflattering and making it cute.

i picked up this flannel shirt at the thrift shop for $1.50. it totally reminds me of an eddie bauer flannel shirt i used to wear in highschool. back when wearing men's flannel was the thing to do.

i had an idea of what i wanted, and as rarely happens, things worked out perfectly. usually when i sew, i spend a lot of time picking out dumb mistakes. i'm always sewing something on backwards, or in the wrong place, or needles constantly break, but not this time. i was in the zone.

it took about two hours start to finish it (even though I still need to work out the darts in the back). Here's a quick rundown of what i did:

  1. removed collar
  2. took in shoulder length
  3. took in sides
  4. shortened sleeves to gathered cap sleeves
  5. added ruffles to front
  6. darts in back for more shape
the bust is a bit tight, and one sleeve is a bit puffier than the other, but for my first attempt, pretty good. at least it's wearable, unlike some other clothing inventions i've tried...

i know those are the worst pictures ever. i'd like to say that i purposely made myself look extra bad in the before, but sadly, that's really me. we must invest in a full length mirror. the only one in our house is the half bath downstairs with bad light. i think that would help. maybe.

I found this tutorial really helpful. and i really want her tools.
Also, check out the flickr group for more restyles. and join in!

3 comments:

Ms. Megan said...

WOW!!! For a first attempt I think you did fantastic!!! Mine would have turned out AWFUL!! lol. I love the ruffles! How cute!!
I still wear men's flannels!! :) They are so comfy and a little on the 'grunge' side! :)
Have a crafty day!!
xoxo

becca said...

this is awesome Emily!! You did great and look great too!

Barlow Fam said...

BTW, I LOVE this!